Archives

Category Archives for Ancient Hospitalis

The “Hospitalis de Stabio”

© Isola Comacina - COMCEPT

© Isola Comacina - COMCEPT

The Hospitalis de Stabio

The building that today hosts the Antiquarium belongs to the hospitalis complex, a place dedicated in the past to give hospitality to poor people and pilgrims. The first information about its existence derives from an ancient document dated 1169 in which are mentioned the church of St. Mary Magdalene and the hospitalis complex. Initially, the economic management of the hospitalis was given to a deacon and later to the Giovio family, which role was officially recognized by the Pope Alexander VI through a papal bull of the 1496.

In the 1898 a portion of the complex hosted the Municipalty, while the remaining part was used as residence and stables. After the death of the last descendant of the family Giovio, in 1907, the hospitalis became the Entity called “Opera Pia Giovio”, and the Adorers Sisters of the Holy Sacrament settled in the 1959, who were already using some places as a retirement home (until 1969). In the basement also a carpentry workshop established its property, which was later substituted by an olive press that operated until the 1982. In 1992 the buildings that hosted the Municipality offices were entrusted to the Sport Society “Soccorsina”.

The Antiquarium

© Isola Comacina - COMCEPT

© Isola Comacina - COMCEPT

© Isola Comacina - COMCEPT

© Isola Comacina - COMCEPT

The Antiquarium

Before the renovation works, the building had the press which was located in the basement room and a small bathroom, while the ground floor was used by the sports club as a warehouse and there was also a recreation room where musician could play their instruments. The room that in the past did not play a role, it’s now used as a conference and meeting space, while the first floor had two adjoining rooms available after the last intervention of the late ’90th century, during which old several structural elements were eliminated.

The renovation works that led the Antiquarium to the current conformation were organized in order to preserve the main marks of the original structures which represents not only the unique survivors of the most recent intervention as a testimony of the history of the building, but they are also useful for the utilization of the structure. The first floor rooms were connected by a central flight of stairs made ​​of stone in the 90 years while the basement, the ground and the first floor were accessible only from the outside. This intervention was usefull to better organize the available spaces and their connections, giving the structure a new ledge and a flight of stairs made of iron and glass.

The inclusion of the lift, that was studied in order to generate the less impact on the existing structure, has become useful to access easily to the four levels of the Antiquarium, and to make every place accessible to the disabled people, by overcoming those architectural barriers that the structure could impose.

Moreover during the recovery of the plasters were also preserved some signs that represent a past intention to decorate the wall.

The actual Antiquarium

The actual Antiquarium

Nowadays The Antiquarium is a place able to integrate the cultural supply of the area, which is guaranteed by the archaeological sites located on the Comacina Island through the exhibition of archaeological finds and possible multimedia supports.

The Antiquarium is also the starting point for visiting the island, by providing a service called Visitor Center, which couldn’t be located on the Comacina.

The services that are provided correspond to reception, bookshop, museum exhibition, small conference and educational room, direct and multimedia consultation of the materials that are preserved, technical rooms and restrooms.

© 2011-2017 Isola Comacina - PI 03294920131 | +39 0344 56369 | Privacy Credits